Sunday 3 June 2007

To hear a nightingale

I was wakened at first light yesterday by a bird call of such piercing sweetness – such a joyful crescendo of rising and falling notes - that I rose at once and rushed out into the garden to see what bird it was that made it. It came from high in the banches of a tall conifer where squirrels nest, so I thought it must be a large bird indeed that would dare to linger there. Its song was loud too – louder by far, than any average garden bird could make. I stood perfectly still to hear it as on it sang, a full five minutes of matchless sound. Before a pair of magpies landed with a squawk nearby, and drove it off.

And did I catch a glimpse of it before it flew away? No I did not. Since even with my glasses on, I’m unable to identify disappearing birds at such a distance. And could it have been a nightingale? I like to think it could, though I’ve never heard one, and can’t say for sure. Nightingales sound rather like blackbirds, people say: the difference is, they sing at night, when other birds are silent. This nameless bird of mine was like no blackbird I have ever heard though, nor any thrush. So I have told myself it must have been a nightingale - having long dreamt that I might hear one before I die.

I’m feeling the need for a little solitude just at present. And had been enjoying several days of it, until Frances came yesterday with her rather extraordinary request. Before that, Bill and I had been staying quietly at home, unwilling for the moment to be involved in neighbourhood activities. Flawless summer days have returned, and we have been spending them in our gardens; finding respite there perhaps, from Rose’s conversations, and Lady Macauley’s secrets - and the nagging little anxieties about Frances herself. Our two little gardens are long and narrow; each more or less a replica of the other, and straggling, low-hedged, for fifty yards or so on either side of the little public path.

Bill’s has been given over mostly to his vegetable plot, where everything flourishes so admirably now that he has lately been able to turn his attention to mine. Here, there are neglected borders to be cleared and re-planted; and the remains of an ancient pergola have given Bill the idea of constructing a flowering, fragrant walk. It was there, beneath the half-constructed pergola, that Frances came upon us unexpectedly at three o'clock yesterday. Bill was tying rustic poles together with willow for the framework, and I struggling with the tangled lengths of rose and jasmine that are to climb its poles and make a flowering canopy above.

“How very industrious you look!” Frances gaily cried. But her demeanour somehow belied her words. There was very little of gaiety about her; she looked vaguely troubled, if anything, and this despite the fact that her hair was arranged in a new and rather becoming way, and that she wore a crisp linen dress and a neat little pair of matching shoes. Frances’s shoes had tended to be rather boatlike in the past, making a kind of flapping sound when she walked. I remembered it now as a friendly sound, and wished that it hadn't gone away.

She seemed happy to linger a while with us in the garden, admiring our efforts. She thought the pergola an enchanting idea - and would have Mr Jessop look out for sturdy climbers of theirs that would assist us in our enterprise. She had clearly come here with a definite idea of some sort however; she fairly seemed to quiver with it, and so I soon found reason to suggest she come up with me to the house, while I prepared a jug of iced lemonade for us all.

What she wants of us is on the face of it perfectly simple and straightforward – yet it took the breath from me momentarily just the same. She wants us to ask David and her to come to tea here one afternoon, in company with half a dozen other invited guests. She thinks it important they should be seen together in public as a couple at last: it would 'seem to put the formal seal of approval on their union’, didn’t I see? And she can think of no happier way of accomplishing it than through the sort of little informal party that might seem to have happened just by chance. She had thought that my nice little sitting room would provide the perfect backdrop – but now that she had seen Bill’s pergola, she wondered if tea beneath the roses wouldn’t perhaps be better still?

She wouldn’t think of imposing on me to provide anything of course – she would have Mrs Meade make sandwiches and cakes. She had a number of small chairs and tables stored in one of her outhouses, besides; they were remnants from the days when her grandmother had used to hold little musical soirees in the garden, and were rather pretty, in the Edwardian style. She would have Mr Jessop fetch them out of storage; he would spruce them up, as she put it, and see that they were delivered here in plenty of time.

It occurred to me that it had evidently been planned ahead in perfect detail, this apparently spontaneous little party of theirs. I saw the mind and hand of David Porteous at work here; and was angered by it, feeling an almost irresistible impulse to protest. I didn't protest of course. Though I did go so far as to suggest that her own garden (for the life of me I couldn’t also call it his!) might provide a more fitting backdrop for the occasion? But this she waved aside in a manner which was, for her, almost peremptory. That was just it, didn’t I see? They might entertain in their own garden every day of the week - they would certainly do so, would hold a great party, when the moment to announce their engagement finally came. But until somebody else had done it for them first, they wouldn’t be seen formally as an acknowledged couple, nor be able to feel that they had been accepted, and 'arrived'.

There seemed to me a deal of sophistry in this view of the situation, and I knew for sure that Frances hadn’t reasoned it out for herself. I wished that Bill had been with us – I had a feeling that he would have known how to parry and deflect. But in presence of Frances alone – of Frances standing there in mute appeal before me; not quite meeting my eyes, but with every ounce of her rather grotesquely duped good faith somehow shining in her own – I confess that I took the line of least resistance. I said that of course I would arrange her little party for her – it was only a question of our deciding between us when, and with whom, and how.

So there it is. I am to arrange a carefully choreographed yet apparently extemporaneous little party – and set the seal of approval upon a union I more and more dislike. Bill exploded later when I told him about it. He’ll be damned if he’ll be there himself, he said! Though I know that when the moment comes, he will.

I heard my unknown bird singing again in the conifer this morning. But there was a note of sadness in its song this time – and I no longer believe it is a nightingale

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

very intriguing, want to hear more about the party!

I Beatrice said...

Thank you anonymous. Have you ever thought of getting a blog? It would be nice if you did - so I could call you by your chosen name.


Let me see what it could be - Mummy-of-Mu perhaps? Or should it be Can't-identify-my-potato-peeler?

Catherine said...

Poor Frances, no wonder you worry so for her. But there's no reasoning with a woman in love.

In haste.

I Beatrice said...

Yes, the poor little thing is all at sea!

She didn't ever think it would be "like this"!

Omega Mum said...

Would you like to 'borrow' Dave the manic depressive decorator for a walk on part - he'll certainly give the guests something to talk about? Very good. Enjoyed it no end. Did you ever read 'The Cathedral' by Hugh Walpole? Deeply unfashionable now, of course.

I Beatrice said...

Dave sounds good OM - though isn't he also the one who made strange shapes in the garden? Mr P wouldn't like that at all.

I mean, there are knot gardens and then there are knot gardens, you know...

And yes, I did read Hugh Walpole as a girl. "Vanessa"? Can't remember the others - though know I used to like them,in a strange, only half-comprehending way. And what was "The Cathedral" about?

Omega Mum said...

A sinister curate who takes over and ruins the canon and his family during the course of the book. Admittedly I was in my teens when I read it but there's something about Mr P that's reminding me of it.

I Beatrice said...

I don 't remember that one OM. Shall have to have a look for it.

And the odd thing is, Mr P didn't really start out as sinister. Just self-regarding, and rather pretentious.... I'd written half of it already, as a novel already - but now, in this new format, he seems to be gathering characteristics as he goes along!

I daresay readers' comments have had something to do with it. Perhaps this will turn out to be the new, communal way of consctructing a novel....?

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something ?? When did you decide Nice Mr Porteous was an evil conspirator? I think he is rather sweet....

I Beatrice said...

You have a point Mutley! Though I don't think anyone was talking about his being sinister...

The discussion between Omega Mum and me was about a book by Hugh Walpole we had read as girls.

I'd never have called Mr P 'rather sweet', mind you!

merry weather said...

The birds are singing here...invisibly, beautiful happy sound, love it... :)

I Beatrice said...

But have you heard a nightingale, Merry Weather?

I haven't - and it haunts me.

merry weather said...

Mmm, thought I had, but a greater mind assured me it was a blackbird nesting next to a streetlight... hey.

lady macleod said...

"..shoes were rather boatlike..." just a brilliant line, it paints not just a picture physically but tells so much of her character BEFORE Mr. P.
Oh poor Francis.

I love how you started and ended with the nightingale and it isn't one, and the song is sad.

Once again, brilliant!!

debio said...

Any man who encourages a woman out of 'boatlike shoes' can't be all bad. Can he?
But I do feel very uncomfortable around Mr P. even when he's not present.

I Beatrice said...

Funny thing was, Debio, I was rather fond of those boatlike shoes. Perhaps being on the boatlike side myself, shoewise.....? I never was one of your Jimmy Choo extremists - and now I'm too old to think it's worth the pinching of the toes.

As for Mr P, well that's another odd thing! There's an air of menace growing around him, which seems to have very little to do with me.... Can that be what people want of him, do you think....?

But I'm the boss here, for all that - so I mean to try to dispel some of the more sinister elements if I can.

Am struggling a bit at present though - probably tomorrow, for the next bit.

Anonymous said...

well - silly me - I just discovered - via a comment in Rilly's blog - that you can click on the names and - magic!!
I didn't know everyone was a blogger- except for me -

Anyway - your story looks very enticing.....once I finish some painting I'll come back to read....

Anonymous said...

I am now an adoring fan -

and have let my friends know about your 'blog'...

This is a story that deserves to be published and then land on the best-sellers list....

I Beatrice said...

I am in awe of what you say, Aims - or would be if I were able to believe a word of it!

Fortunately perhaps (fortunately for the swelling of my head that is!) I am always consumed by so much doubt over everything I do, that the only thing is to keep on plodding on, and hoping to measure up.

But thank you so much for visiting me. I'll try very hard not to let you down!

(A pity you're not a blogger though - since how can I reciprocate your kind remarks?)

Anonymous said...

But you do reciprocate by answering my comments - thank you.

I noticed the change in the number of comments from the beginning of your story - until now. For myself - I was so awed by the story and your magical writing that I didn't know what to say - and just wanted to read it all.

And now I am wondering where it's all going to go - is Mr. P the villian everyone thinks he is? What's going to happen to Bill? etc. etc.

I found myself wondering if I had read a comment somewhere - either in WITN or SITN that you also had landed a book deal? You should have - this is brilliant.

It made me think my own attempt (12 chapters along) at writing was a dismal failure - I do not come close to your eloquence with the English language. You are an inspiration.

I Beatrice said...

Thank you again aims - but now, you are mistaken about the book deal! That was Dulwich Mum I think.

Why don't you email me? There must be a box somewhere.....on my Profile page perhaps?

(I have just discovered that the beautiful LCD screen on my laptop has been shattered by something! There are shatter marks and big black splodges all the way across the screen. I am devastated!)

pluto said...

Cool!

I've sometimes thought how I'd love to hear a nightingale too. Though for sheer haunting beauty they're surely no match for the kookaburra.

I Beatrice said...

I'm not familiar with the kookaburra's call Pluto - but I do think it a simply marvellous Oz name!

And this too I have observed - that even the humble magpie makes a melodious sound, down your way...

Here, they simply squawk!
#

I Beatrice said...

Andres carl sena left this comment on my "List of Characters" page:


I am starting over from the beginning. I feel i must in order to do your work justice. thanks

DJ Kirkby said...

Ah I love this story so! Your description of Frances's shoes was great! The thought of the singing bird sounding sad at the end thumped me in my chest. I have put a link up to here on my other blog. Please tell me, are you writing this as you go or have you had these delighful instalments tucked away somewhere waiting to be showcased here?