Friday 1 June 2007

A little tale of long ago

Rose Mountjoy called here yesterday; teetering up the garden path on her three-inch heels, perfectly dressed, and coiffed, and made-up as usual. I was reminded of something I’d heard Lady Macauley say about her: that it remains one of life’s mysteries to Belle and her, that feat of transformation by which Rose manages to make sixty look like forty every morning, from the application of something she gets out of jars and bottles. Privately, Lady Macauley is glad there’s no longer a husband in the case - since she fears it must involve some rather startling disclosures at bedtime.

I had time to think of this while I waited for Rose; she having first spotted Bill at work in his vegetable garden, and called blithely across to him to come and join us for coffee in the kitchen. She is a woman quite without any of the ordinary scruples in life, and can make these large assumptions. She was quite oblivious of the look of pure dislike Bill cast in her direction; and nor did it seem to have occurred to her that I might not have wished to be broken in upon unannounced, at ten o’clock in the morning. She wanted to mull the party over with me; which was sufficient grounds for her. So that, having been rather brusquely dismissed by Bill, she simply teetered on up the path to me anyway, settling herself on her favourite kitchen stool, as if for the duration.

Not that she didn’t finally make it worth my while to give up my morning to her, mind you. She has a breezy style of conversation, and is in possession of all the facts. She told me that Pamela is nursing a wounded spirit, having felt herself and Roland rather snubbed at Lady Macauley’s party. Roland doesn’t think they ought to accept, the next time an invitation comes, apparently. “Which is quite a joke of course” Rose observed. “ since they were only ever invited at all at my special invocation, and it’s a feat I’m unlikely to be able to accomplish a second time.” She also told me why it was that Frances and Mr Porteous had not attended the party. “We don’t go everywhere we are invited” was what Frances had said, in answer to Rose’s direct question on the subject. Rose had thought it just a little stiff, for Frances. “She speaks with his voice now, you’ll note” she observed. “She expresses his very sentiments.” It’s Rose’s idea that the invitation had in fact arrived rather late, affronting Mr Porteous’s ideas about what is due to Frances as lady of the manor. “Not to mention those that he thinks are due to himself!” she added; “In whatever capacity it is he now sees himself in occupancy there!”

All this was sufficiently indiscreet - and just sufficiently interesting - to make me feel my morning was not being entirely ill-spent. Though I did experience a certain culpability, in consenting to discuss Frances like that, with Rose. And I was glad Bill was not there to hear it, since I feared he might have felt impelled to pull us both up rather short. I’m not sure how we made the transition from Frances to the Macauleys. But make it we somehow did, and swiftly; so that I was suddenly hearing a rather remarkable little story about the early Jack Macauley, and my attention was engaged at once.

“You know of course that Theodora wasn’t Jack Macauley’s first or greatest love, don’t you….?” was the way that Rose embarked on her story. I hadn't known, but was eager to do so; and what followed was a little tale of such piquancy – such poignancy almost – that I can do no better than try to reproduce it here word for word, just as she told it to me…

“ Oh no, his great love had come much earlier, when he was only a boy. He was a poor boy, a miner’s son – that much all the world knows, so it’s nothing new. But what the world doesn’t generally know is the little love story that probably kicked-off his rise to riches. His father was incapacitated in the mines when Jack was only twelve, you see; and he, as the eldest of six, was obliged to leave school and find work that would support the family. His mother resisted the idea of his going down the mines himself, so he was apprenticed to the local grocer instead. He started as errand boy, in which capacity he had to make up the baskets for delivery each morning, and then cycle about the village on a large bicycle with an oversized basket in front, to dispatch them in the afternoons. He had never owned a bicycle before, so there was a certain glamour about it at first – though he soon came to hate it, for the foolish figure it seemed to make of him..."

"One of his regular deliveries was to the rectory, a big house on the outskirts of the village, where lived the local rector and his wife and daughter. The rector himself was of the old school, and rather grand - quite the Trollopian sort, I believe. But he’d married beneath himself; carried away in a moment of madness, or so the story goes, by the golden ringlets and winning smiles of the prettiest and silliest of little local girls. Little Miss Ringlets carried him off, and in no time acquired all the airs and graces she thought befitted a rector’s wife. So that by the time it came Jack Macauley’s lot to fall in her way, she was quite the finest, proudest, most condescending woman in the village.”

“Nothing that Jack Macauley brought in his basket was ever good enough for the discerning Mrs Rector. She would make him stand holding his bicycle while she peered into boxes and examined eggs and carrots - and as often as not her young daughter peered and examined right along with her, quite as impossible to please as she. The girl’s own look told Jack clearly enough what she thought of him – that he was a great gallumphing ungainly fellow, and probably smelt bad, to boot. She would draw her little skirts about her to avoid contact with him if he came too near. And when she was not busying herself with finding fault with his groceries, she would cast scornful glances at his out-at-the-elbow jacket, and big, scuffed, horribly over-sized boots..."

"The little girl’s name was Milly - though I’ve always somehow seen her as Estella from Great Expectations … it seems she had just that same proud disdainful air … But she also had her mother’s enchantingly light blue eyes, and a head of shining ringlets tied with ribbons; she wore the crispest, prettiest little dresses, and a pair of tiny lace-up boots. And big, shambling, tongue-tied Jack Macauley was smitten from the first moment, worshipping her from afar...”

“He would lie awake at nights, trying to think of ways in which he might appear more manly in Milly’s eyes. He would have a haircut, acquire a better pair of boots….. But somehow there was never money enough left over, and so he must shamble on, ill-shod and despised. This state of affairs lasted for about a year – after which a new errand boy was taken on, and Jack Macauley progressed to slicing bacon, and serving behind the counter of the shop. He seldom saw Milly after that, though he always looked for her, and hoped that one day she would come into the shop … "

"It was an infatuation that was never to leave him. And there are those who say that his later success was founded entirely on that. It can certainly have been no accident that the first articles of his manufacture were boots and shoes – and that only later did he move into the world of department stores. He was always hoping that Milly and her mother might come into one of his stores one day, and find something there that was good enough for them at last…”

Rose had got up from her stool at this point, to pour herself another cup of coffee. But she quickly climbed up again to resume her tale; and I was not disposed to do anything to stop her.

“It sounds an improbable story perhaps – and yet I’ve never thought it so myself. A man could construct an empire on something rather less than the want of a pair of shiny boots, it seems to me – though whether Milly or her mother ever did walk into one of his stores to be impressed, remains unknown. And Jack Macauley himself moved on at speed after that of course. His stores covered five counties in the end - there must have come a day when he thought himself good enough even for proud Milly and her mother!"

"But by then it was too late. Milly had grown up and married, and gone away. Jack Macauley himself was married too, soon after that - to his childhood sweetheart from the same village. But he carried the image of Milly all his life. He was always more or less looking for her – and when, more than thirty years later, a man of vast fortune and considerable substance by then, he caught sight of the young Theodora in somebody’s drawing room one night, it was not her face, but that of his lost, remembered Milly that he saw. That was why he pursued her so, you see. She had the very look, the very eyes, of Milly. So that in the face of no matter what obstacles, he must have her. He was a big enough man to do it now – and he wasn’t going to let fate cheat him of his prize a second time…”

So absorbed had I become in Rose’s story that it came as a jolt to me, when suddenly she broke off from it, turning to me with her own, everyday, rather superior smile. There was just one more thing I had to know though, before I could let her move on to other things.

“Does Lady Macauley herself know all this?” I asked her - conscious as I did so that I had been moved beyond the realms of ordinary speech by her story, and probably sounded all agog and foolish.

Rose though, was well enough acquainted with it all to be able to be quite blase about it by now. “Oh yes, she knows it well enough!” she said. “It has haunted her every day of her married life, and since. She was never able to be absolutely sure you see, whether it was herself or Milly that he loved. A man with a dream is an uncomfortable sort to live with though – and it’s my belief that Theodora never quite knew, even at the moment of his death, if Jack had quite relinquished his.”

There were a great many other questions I would have liked to put to Rose about this rather extraordinary story. But she was suddenly bored with it; had looked at her watch and cried “Heavens where has the morning gone? I ought to have been at Pamela’s half an hour ago!” - had collected her bag, and left.

All this took place yesterday, but I’m still very much pre-occupied with it. I’m not sure that I’m altogether happy to have been acquainted with Lady Macauley’s most intimate secrets. I think she would deeply dislike the idea herself - and it will certainly affect my response to her when next we meet. Rose’s indiscretions know no bounds, it seems to me: I was glad to hear her story, but all the same, she ought to have kept it to herself!

Yet now that I know it, what in the world am I to do with it? And how, come to that, am I to explain it all to Bill?

25 comments:

I Beatrice said...

I feel I must apologise for the excessive length of this post!

I might have broken the story into two instalments - but somehow I didn't think that that would do.

All I can suggest is that you read it (if at all) in several short bursts.....

Anonymous said...

How tremendously sill Lady M is - to spend a whole lifetime worrying. She should have confronted Jack and had it out with him - and if necessary ditched him I told you Pamela would be upset going hatless - it would have made all the difference, I hope you are filled with regret.

How is Bill getting on with Lady M?? I hope you are keeping your eyes peeled for hanky-panky..

I Beatrice said...

My goodnes you're quick off the mark Mutley! I only posted fifteen minutes ago..

And was just about to remove it for editing anyway - having discovered two uses of "she observed" in the one paragraph! (Also, no accent for blase of course - but you can blame Google for that!)

I suffer no compunction whatever on Pamela's behalf, by the way. She has enough to be unhappy about, just in having been ignored at the party. In her hat she'd have been crucified! (Believe me, I'm a woman, and I know these things.)

So far as Jack's secret love is concerned, well, she probably did confront him - many times. (She found a crumpled photo of Milly in his wallet for example, for a start!)

But there are some things a woman can never be absolutely sure about where her man is concerned - I guess it helps to keep the spark alive!

Thank you for taking such a lively interest though! It really does add greatly to the fun of the thing...

(Lady M is well past hanky panky by the way. Just likes to be reminded of it now and then.)

Omega Mum said...

Rose has a beautifully educated way of speaking and a nice turn of phrase. Did she improve herself as she went along or has she got a secret vulgarity that comes out now and again? (I haven't mixed her up, have I).

I Beatrice said...

No I'm sure you haven't mixed her up Omega Mum! It's one of the perils of being a nice middle-class woman writing fiction I guess - it's hard to make one's characters sound quite as vulgar as perhaps they should.

In her ( or rather my) defence, I can only say that Rose has come a long way from the little brick council house (sorry: LA accommodation!) on the wrong side of the road. Let's say she has got her turn of phrase from fifty years' association with the Macauleys....? Not to mention her own three husbands of course (last one a pillar of the Foreign Office).

Perhaps I ought to employ a dialogue coach though......?

david santos said...

Today it is the World-wide day of the child

Anonymous said...

good to have the story back, an oasis in my day

Omega Mum said...

PS it's not a criticism - I thought Rose would deliberately have worked at it - she strikes me as a determined person.

I Beatrice said...

Thank you anonymous for your kind comment. Are you the same anon who visited once before I wonder?

I Beatrice said...

Not having taken your remarks as a criticism, Omega Mum.... but finding something interesting in what you said about dialogue just the same, I allow myself the luxury of a prolonged (and purely literary) response...

(OK - I should have written it as an essay on my other page, I know!)

I've noticed this phenomenon before in fact - that a writer's people generally seem to speak pretty much as
well as he does himself. Since for the life of him I guess, he just wouldn't be able to let them speak worse!

Not unless he were someone like Dickens, and could carry off the glorious full vernacular. (Which can be disastrous in the wrong hands of course!)

I took special note of this last night while reading Wuthering Heights again. And noted that the narrator, Nelly Dean (who is after all a servant) speaks just as picturesquely (and grammatically) as Emily Bronte herself. If she spoke otherwise, the story would be pretty much unreadable, don't you think?

All Emily Bronte's violent men have a pretty stunning turn of phrase too.

Perhaps there's a degree of poetic licence involved here?

merry weather said...

Interesting thoughts Beatrice. Maybe that's why I've never got on with Austen. Her voice is too dainty, very witty but so restrained ... Just glancing at Mansfield Park now - the dialogue is like a dance - all nodding, waving and "colouring".... Her men don't come alive for me. Whereas the Brontes describe life and people with passion, I love Charlotte best - Villette - ...

Reading your comments section makes me want to get back to the classics, when do you get the time??

I Beatrice said...

Time is what grandmas have a-plenty, merry weather! Although I confess that the blog has made huge inroads into mine.

Most of my reading was done long ago - and oh, how I ploughed through everything then! Old loquacious Russians, and all. Now, I mostly re-read old favourites. (Dickens, constantly; and then walk the streets of London looking for his locations - such joy!)

And yes, Villette is splendid - and your views on Jane Austen reflect those of Charlotte Bronte herself almost precisely. Where was the passion, she wanted to know?

I was doing a quick re-read of Wuthering Heights with a view to writing a little essay entitled "Inside the head of Heathcliff"... But the odd thing is, that when I get back there,there's nothing very much to find!

There IS no inside of the head of Heathcliff, it seems to me.... he's just an externalisation of something inside Emily Bronte's own!

Perhaps one's imagined men are always pretty much just that?

(Tried and failed to underline 'it' for emphasis. Couldn't even make it Bold! I'm sure there must be a way, but I haven't found it.......)

debio said...

Poor Lady M - always to consider yourself second best must be trying.

So pleased you didn't divide in to two instalments - I like things tidy, but just enough loose ends to be waiting for the next....

I Beatrice said...

Thank you Debio - you give heart to go on, always.

pluto said...

I enjoyed this, my first visit to your fiction blog. I was especially held by the story within a story: the one that Rose told.

I Beatrice said...

Thank you so much, Pluto, and I'm so very glad that you enjoyed it.

It's all something of an experiment at the moment - told pretty much 'on the hoof', as it were... But I'm learning as I go along, and have all future developments fairly firmly in my mind, at least.

Do come back - and now I'll pop across and visit you!

pluto said...

Thanks for the gentle reminder on my blog that it's time for a new post. I've asked to join the writers list at topblogmag because they set a theme each week -- a bit like homework! Easier than waiting for inspiration to strike.

I Beatrice said...

You're a braver man than I, Pluto! Wild horses wouldn't drag me in that direction.

But I wish you all good luck, and will keep looking for the end-product.

Catherine said...

Can you give me the name of the gunk Rose puts on her face every morning, Beatrice? I need it desperately.

Mr Porteous reminds me more and more of my wicked ex-husband. I know it's all going to end in tears.

I Beatrice said...

Alas Marianne, it's a secret as closely guarded as the recipe for Pimms! If I knew it, do you think I'd go about looking the way I do? (well you can't see that of course, but believe me, it's not good!)

You are well shot of your particular Mr P though, I think...

lady macleod said...

I have read it as my treat for the evening, but I am much to worn from the excitement and heat of the day to comment properly. I intend to have the next one as a treat on the morrow and I shall comment properly at that time.

I Beatrice said...

So glad to see you Lady M. I feared I had alienated you over my length-of-posts remarks! (Not the least criticism intended I assure you - I reiterate that here. )

I believe you have had an adventure involving a sheikh...

(Never sure where the 'h' goes, in these words!
Bagdhad's as bad - I've seen it a thousand times - and still not sure I've got the 'h' right!)

Shall pop across to yours shortly to see what you've been up to this time (and also to see how to spell sheikh).

I like a good Sheikh myself.... in theory anyway.

Andres, JCT said...

i've fallen behind, but am slowl catching back up. it's good to see, you're still churing out the words. thanks

I Beatrice said...

Good to have you back ACS!

But "churning out the words" you know? It's not quite the image I'd hoped to project... (sigh)

Anything new on your site I ought to see?

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh I am loving it so far and already wishing it was a book that I could carry from room to room.