Saturday 6 October 2007

Wrongly Dressed in Tuscany - and What Rose has in Mind

Rose has evidently decided to keep her present intentions a secret. From me at least: for the first time ever I have found myself in the position of waiting for a visit from her, and feeling disappointed when it doesn’t come. I had begun to think I must have imagined it, that conspiratorial look she gave me on leaving Lady Macauley the other day. I was playing my usual game perhaps, of ascribing motive, sniffing subterfuge, where none existed. I had read too much into Rose’s uncharacteristic silence on the subject of Jack and Alice Macauley, and was doomed to find that even she has limits when it comes to plotting acts of sweet revenge... But then I met Pamela on the high street yesterday and the truth - or her interpretation of it at least - was unravelled. I had to wait for it though. Nothing ever occurs in quite straightforward sequence, where Pamela is concerned, and she had a good deal else of which to disburden herself first.

“Well, the knives are out now and no mistake!” was however her first dark observation - which gave me grounds to hope that all was about to be revealed. She had hustled me into a high street cafe and ordered tea and buns before I could protest that the afternoon was warm, and I would really very much rather have had an iced drink. She has been wearing a rather wounded air of late, it seems to me; she appears to think that a week of feeling wrongly dressed in Tuscany was probably too heavy a price to have had to pay for basking in the light of Lady Macauley’s favour –never mind about any little personal remuneration Roland might have expected to receive, for acting as her unofficial adviser.

“Of course we haven’t seen a penny yet” she said. “And Roland thinks it’s entirely on the cards we never will. The honour of the association is supposed to be all in such cases, he believes. Lady Macauley has probably convinced herself, besides, that a holiday in Tuscany was recompense enough, and that we would feel it demeaning to be offered money as well. But it doesn’t seem to us that there can be anything demeaning about receiving payment for services honestly rendered – and just between you and me, the Tuscan experience was a very mixed blessing. You had left by the time we arrived of course, so you missed the worst of it (why did you hurry away like that by the way? We have wondered and wondered about that...). But you can’t think what a bizarre lot they were who wound up the hill every evening in their antiquated limousines! Dripping jewels, and with every kind of trumped-up-looking foreign medal on the men – and this despite the fact that we were supposed to be dining al fresco, and quite informally. Roland found it quite a feat of endurance just to sit it all out, and I must say I was inclined to agree with him. So that what with one thing and another dear, I don’t mind telling you it will be a very long time before we accept another invitation to the Macauley villa!”

I had begun to feel by now that Pamela must have entirely forgotten her opening remark about the knives being out, but she finally made the switch effortlessly enough - digressing only once more, and then only momentarily, to tell me how very smoothly David Porteous and his daughters had been able to adapt themselves to Tuscan conditions.

“You had to marvel at it!” She was prepared to concede that much. “He had all those haughty old dames eating out of his hands in five minutes flat. And his girls were scarcely better – or worse, depending on the way you looked at it. But as Roland said, he was glad it was Imogen Porteous, and no daughter of his who snatched the limelight every evening by talking about Leonardo Da Vinci! She was touching up the frescoes in the porch you know. Making a rather undistinguished job of it, I thought - though to hear her talk about the problems of working before the plaster dried, you’d have thought she must have had studied personally under Leonardo herself... .”

I had heard about all this before of course, from Rose. I mentioned the fact, hoping it would act as a trigger; and when it did not, I went further, coming right out and remarking that Rose had evidently been somewhat dismayed at the prospect of seeing Jack Macauley again.

“Dismayed?” Pamela feelingly replied. “Yes, you could say that – and then go on to magnify it a hundred-fold. She’s all in pieces about it, as a matter of fact. She doesn’t see how she is to get through it at all. He is supposed to have been the great love of her life, you know. You must have heard her talk about it – how each of her husbands was measured against Jack Macauley, and not one of them came even near! The old lady was quick to nip that little affair in the bud. Jack was packed off somewhere abroad immediately; in connection with family business, or so it was said - but it gave Alice her chance to step in. There was a kind of poetic justice about that, I always thought – since in disposing of Rose, the old lady got Alice, whom she never could abide. But it was very unpleasant at the time, I gather, and Rose took it hard. She has been taking it hard for years, if you ask me. She has never forgotten it - and only now, with this new girl coming along for Will, does she see her chance to settle old scores.”

I expressed surprise. I was surprised indeed; having been unaware, until then, that all these things had run so very deep with Rose. I only wondered how it was that she planned to put the scheme in motion?

“Oh well, that’s simple enough!” Pamela’s response was heartfelt, though delivered with a rather unpleasant little laugh. “She means to take the girl in hand. Promote her cause you know, in a hundred clandestine little ways. She will advise her about her clothes, and her hair, and her deportment. She might take the mother on, even: she doesn’t think the poor woman can be quite beyond one’s help."

Rose 'knew the form by now', as Pamela went on to explain to me. “She hasn’t deferred and curtseyed all these years after all, without learning a thing or two. She will befriend the pair, conferring upon them all the wisdom of her own hindsight. She’ll tell them which forks to use, when to fall gracefully silent, and when speak out. She means to endow them with all the little airs and graces she only learnt herself, too late - she’ll polish them up, in short, and show them how to marry a Macauley, in Lady Macauley’s teeth!”

There seemed to me very little one could say in response to all this, so I didn’t try. Pamela’s narration had come to its natural end, and she seemed to be experiencing a little moment of triumph of her own. Which made me wonder if she perhaps meant to take advantage of the situation, for settling scores of her own and Roland’s? I didn’t voice this however, and we parted shortly after that; I having contributed nothing more useful to the conversation than the light-hearted observation that I hoped we weren’t about to see real social violence enacted between the walls of the Macauley house. It was lame of me, I knew; it was timid and inadequate. I ought to have had the courage of my convictions, and come down on one side or the other – but for the life of me, right there on the spot, I wasn’t able to decide which one.

18 comments:

aims said...

Gosh - I really am confused - sorry B - I think I was thinking Belle instead of Rose - and meant Belle wasn't vindictive....I can see that Rose certainly will be and probably is.....

I Beatrice said...

I thought it best not to publish your earlier one, Aims. But you had me worried there for a while - and perhaps I really didn't make myself clear enough? A tangled web and all that....

Loved your new poem btw!

I Beatrice said...

Rosalind has left this comment...

Strawberries and cream again - a truly delicious and scrumptious read. Thank you so much!
Love RosalindX

I Beatrice said...

And thank YOU Rosalind, for continuing to read after all this time, and for saying such very nice things.

aims said...

(you don't have to post this either B - )

Have gone back today - with a cup of tea in hand - and reread "Wongly Dressed" from beginning to end - again.

It's a completely different story for me today - and I am not confused about it at all!!

On my first read - I had forgotten it was Pamela who was speaking - so I didn't have a clue when it came it Rose's intentions or why she was going to be vindictive in the first place...

Please forgive me dear B - didn't mean to worry you about your writing....

It still flows just as beautifully as all the rest - I envy you your style...

I Beatrice said...

Oh well that's a relief Aims! For a minute there I began to feel I must have lost the plot - literally!

I guess it's one of the drawbacks of reading it as a blog - the instalment aspect of it creates big gaps in the memory perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of vicious feuds conducted through such social subterfuge! Looking forward to seeing who wins this one!

I Beatrice said...

I have it all pretty well in hand Anon. At least I think I have - the big thing will be in getting it all down effectively! I'm going to take it all as quietly and steadily as I can - and hope to be done by Christmas, or shortly thereafter.

Catherine said...

Oh, I love it. The scheming. Rose's revenge. I rather hope she achieves her goal, but then Lady M seems to deserve a spanner in the works.

I, too, had to read this twice, to really get a grip of who was saying what. Perhaps I'm just a bit foggy this morning.

Anonymous said...

Yes - reading it as a blog does make bigger gaps in understanding the plot Bea - I have become confused several times and had to go back and read again.. Its far from ideal as a way to write a complicated story like this one of yours. Still, I am enjoying it and I want you to keep it up!!

I Beatrice said...

Oh, but I often find I have to do that even when reading a book, Mutley! Especially when it's one of those big old Russian (or Dickensian) ones, with all the names!

I'm so grateful to you for staying the course though - and have a trick or two still left up my sleeve I think.

When are we to see another of your stories, btw? I tend to lose my way, when trying to keep up with all your other blogs!

I Beatrice said...

But no, I think it must be me, Marianne. Since there are now three of you who seem to have lost your way.

Too convoluted for my own good perhaps? But I fear there's worse to come - so hold fast!

As for Lady M and Rose - well, they're pretty evenly matched it seems to me....

merry weather said...

Our village has someone I recognise as a kind of Pamela - I'm both fascinated by and fond of her. Still, I did feel for Bea being hustled into the tea shop, oh dear!

Wrongly-dressed for a week in Tuscany, men with trumped-up medals, the girl who'd studied personally under Leonardo - you always sparkle with the details Bea, very funny.

I didn't get lost - think it's running smoothly - good reading :)

I Beatrice said...

Glad to know I haven't lost quite all my readers, Merry Weather! I was getting quite worried there for a while - especially as the plot has yet to thicken quite a lot more...

Many thanks.

Omega Mum said...

Wonderful. Don't know how you keep a grip on your characters - very, very good.

I Beatrice said...

I seem to have lived with them for so long, OM - I know them as well as I know myself!

Am nervous about this next lot though...

debio said...

Oh the intrigue and the detail.

well done - simply well done!

I Beatrice said...

Thank you Debio!

But as I said to OM, the next lot will be the real test. I haven't absolutely even got all their characters straightened in my head yet - so there's never a chance I might rest on my laurels..

I have been wondering where you have been lately btw? Keep looking for you, but no sign - and I miss you. Perhaps like me, you have had funerals and other sad things?