Tuesday 23 October 2007

"A thin little, grim little woman with a penchant for knitted skirt suits"

That was Pamela’s account of the appearance and character of Mrs Avril Wilmot, whose arrival at the Macauley house two days ago has upset Lady Macauley to such an extent that she has taken to her rooms threatening not to re-emerge, not even for the occasional tea-time. She hopes there will not be too many tea-times for anyone to have to endure, in fact. She can’t see how she has been brought to such a strait, and she holds Jack and Alice entirely responsible for it. It is like Alice, she says, to have introduced a horror into somebody else’s house, and then taken her own sweet time about coming down to pick up the burden of it. But until she does; until, that is, she deigns to appear herself, and take this preposterous personage off one’s hands - well, Lady Macauley declines to have any further part in it, and means to keep strictly to her own apartments.

It’s hard to see how such an impasse could have been reached so quickly; but Pamela believes it was probably accomplished within the first five minutes, shortly after Mrs Wilmot had stationed herself beside her small wheel-along suitcase at the foot of the stairs, and then looked about as if she expected to see a host of servants come running to try to wrest it from her. Pamela doesn’t know what it can have contained – the family silver, she had supposed, from the manner in which Mrs Wilmot had clung to it, insisting upon trying to bump it up the stairs herself, and then only with extreme reluctance being persuaded to give it up to Bill.

Nor were her opening remarks calculated to endear her to her hostess – she having seemed to sniff the air in the hall and find it objectionable on the whole; before casting a sceptical eye from floor to ceiling and up the stairs, and remarking, to no-one in particular, that it must be “very cold and inconvenient” to inhabit such a house; and that for her own part, a house with the ordinary number of living and bedrooms had always seemed quite sufficient.

“She wonders why she has been invited there at all” Pamela tells me. And I should point out that Pamela did not actually witness any of these events herself. She was not a member of the welcoming party for Mrs Wilmot and her daughter, and has had to take her impressions second hand from Rose. Which makes one marvel at her apparent omniscience, whilst at the same time doubting its absolute veracity.... Still, for what her remarks are worth, I give them to you; they being at present all I have.

“She doesn’t say as much of course” Pamela went on, quite as if she had been privy to it all herself. “She doesn’t have to, apparently - her sniffs, and the fierce offended air she maintains at lunch, and tea tables, saying it all for her.... But she conducts constant stage-whispered conversations with her daughter behind her hands; she glares at poor Will at every opportunity, as if challenging him to tell her what he has meant by introducing her and her innocent girl into this hostile house – and altogether she creates the impression that she hasn’t yet got so far as to unpack her bags, and is ready to leave at a moment’s notice and in the highest possible dudgeon, if matters don’t soon improve.

Will has been very rash and foolish, according to Pamela; making all kinds of promises he can’t possibly hope to see fulfilled. “He’s clearly quite besotted with the girl, and determined to get himself engaged to her - it was probably the only way he could see of getting her mother to bring her there at all!“ He had promised them among other things, ‘a dance’, apparently; and Mrs Wilmot had come there altogether in the expectation of that. Rather, Pamela fears, in the manner of one who had supposed that the visit was to be a kind of old-fashioned debutante affair, and she the mother of the most promising girl.... Pamela suspects that her little suitcase is probably stuffed with clothes for every kind of magnificent occasion. For Angelica, at least: Angelica, as heroine of the hour, must shine with unsurpassable radiance – whilst for Angelica’s mother, well, the ubiquitous little knitted skirt suit (“she has one in every colour; she has almost certainly has knitted them herself”)... the 'rather horrid little knitted skirt suit' must suffice.

It had begun to seem to me by now, that whilst I knew a good deal about Will Macauley, and most of what there was to know about Mrs Avril Wilmot, of the girl herself I had heard very little. I ventured a question or two therefore. Was she as pretty as everyone said, I wanted to know? And did Pamela feel that she returned Will’s affection?

“Oh well ....” Pamela had a rather conspiratorial look for it now. “She is extremely pretty of course, I’ll give her that. She has a head of fluffy blonde curls, and the kind of complexion that makes you want to look, and look again. Rose puts it down to expert makeup – and Rose should know! She’s one of those girls who intimidates you from behind the cosmetics counter in Selfridges you know – it was there that Will found her in fact: he was looking for something to buy for his mother.... But, so far as returning his affection goes – well, returning it is one thing, Rose says; demonstrating the fact quite another...”

“I have only Rose’s word for it of course, having witnessed none of it for myself...” Pamela was thoroughly into her conversational stride by now, and would clearly have been impervious to any interjections of mine. “But Rose is positively of the opinion – and just between you and me, was rather coarse about it in fact... Rose has somehow got hold of the idea that Angelica is withholding her favours until marriage itself. ‘Playing the Anne Boleyn card’, Rose calls it. Leading poor, lovelorn, lusting Will the kind of dance that can end only in marriage - or nothing whatever. She has taken some kind of a vow of virginity, Rose thinks. She wears a little bracelet to that effect – it’s a current craze among young girls apparently; especially those who have taken up with the Evangelical belt.... Rose thinks it likely that Mrs Wilmot belongs to an evangelical movement of one kind or another. It would be the sort of thing she’d do – though it’s hard to see her engaging in the happy, clappy sort of thing required...“

“Rose thinks it rather clever of the girl, at any rate. Or, clever of her mother, if such a thing could be thought possible – which Rose is inclined to doubt. Very much more likely, in her view, that Mrs Wilmot takes the jaded, or in her case simply the sceptical view of men’s intentions generally, and of Will Macauley’s in particular. She has probably been badly used by some man herself – she has that look, and to date there has been no mention of a Mr Wilmot! She has raised her daughter with the idea that all men are ‘after one thing and one only’, and has urged her to ‘hold out’. Till marriage itself, if possible; but at least until an announcement has been made, and she has a ring very firmly on her finger.“

It occurred to me at this point to wonder what Rose's own intentions might be? If, that was, she still meant to take Mrs Wilmot and Angelica under her wing, for the purpose of wreaking revenge upon Lady Macauley? It was an intriguing question. But on the whole, I thought I had probably learnt enough at second (or call it third) hand for one day. There was a degree of prurience about it, to my mind; I had a sudden need to hear it from a different angle – preferably from Bill’s. My cold is very much better, besides; I have been judged fit to go into Lady Macauley’s presence again, and tomorrow, I shall doubtless see some of these wonderful things enacted, and be in a position to judge them for myself.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Preposterous personage" is my favourite phrase so far - hurrah for Mrs Wilmott, driving Lady M into her apartments, though no doubt she will find a way of triumphing in the end!

I Beatrice said...

My goodness, you were quick off the mark, Anon! I've only just this minute had it in and out again for editing - I hope you saw the corrected, and not the faulty version.....?

As for who triumphs, well perhaps that will be my one little surprise after all!

aims said...

I kept focusing on the knitted suit comments - of course!! I tried to envision what kind it might have been - a boucle knit? Perhaps just a pure wool without any sort of pattern....then I thought of a lovely pattern I saw - all leaves and lacey - and put that firmly out of my mind - not a Mrs. Wilmott kind of knit suit at all!!

I liked that Lady M retreated and pouted....well done dearest B....well done.

I Beatrice said...

I'm sure there are some really lovely knitted suits out there Aims! Just not the sort that poor Mrs W is likely to have constructed on her old machine....

merry weather said...

Lady M confining herself to her apartments while Mrs Wilmot roosts reluctantly in her house - oh dear, how uncomfortable for both of them.

It's so true - how in families we may set up awkward meetings for other members and then hide!

So an uneasy atmosphere has been set. I'm wondering if/when these two will fall out? Looking forward to Bea's first-hand account of the proceedings...

debio said...

Knitted skirt suits and smug frigidity - fabulous characterisation, iBeatrice.

I feel sorry for Will; am I supposed to?

If these second/third hand reports are to be believed he is being manipulated and manoeuvred from every direction.

Bring on Bill, I say.

I Beatrice said...

Aims, thank you. I believe Mrs W would benefit from a little expert advise in the knitted skirts department - though whether she'd accept it graciously or not is anybody's guess.

And I expect Lady M WILL come stomping down the stairs againat some point very soon. Curiosity alone will be enough to do it I think...

I Beatrice said...

Merry Weather: yes, I think the voice of reason - or at least of disinterested observation - is called for now. These meddlesome women - things are getting right out of hand here!

I Beatrice said...

Bring on Bill, Debio? Now there's a thought!

But what could a mere man do - even a big strong one like Bill - with all those scheming women around?

Omega Mum said...

Mrs Wilmot! Fabulous choice of names. And so well observed I can't believe you weren't looking into your memory and dragging someone out - or at least a large part of them. Excellent.

I Beatrice said...

I DO have an image on my head of this particular woman OM. But can't remember who she was precisely. I would never EVER reveal my sources anyway!

Jan said...

The right name in a story is always a great advantage, isnt it?...
I saw writer Adele Geras and her daughter the poet Sophie Hannah discussing their work this week ( part of our LitFest)
Adele said when Sophie was 5, Sophie chose names for characters in Adele's bks....and according to Adele, Sophie always chose exaxtly right...

I Beatrice said...

Thank you Jan - and yes, I always try to match the name with the person. Though draw the line at anything too fantastic (in the Dickensian style); and am not sure I'd be brave enough to let my 6-year-old grand-daughter have a hand in it!

I read your piece about these two women with great interest, by the way. But am ashamed to say that I have heard of neither of them, so felt unable to make a useful comment. I'll try to see if I can find some of their work, and come back to you...

merry weather said...

Bea - I wanted to thank you for taking me on the Macauley Tour - it was a lovely experience and has shone a new light on my reading of your story.

Ham House is a magnificent place and worthy of imagination and creativity. I think you've made a fine job of establishing the cast of people there - I was expecting to meet one at any corner in fact! It was easy to imagine the Daimler crunching up the drive and the sound of Lady M's tones ringing imperiously along the panelled walls...

I also liked seeing the houses in Ham which you've used for Pamela and Rose and of course the gatehouse which Bea and Bill occupy - I would move into that tomorrow, it has so much character.

You made us very welcome, you're a charming host and a fascinating lady. Thank you!

I Beatrice said...

Thank you so much for that lovely comment Merry Weather! It was a delight to us to meet you too, and I did so enjoy the day.

Would you consider taking on the post of PR person to me?

merry weather said...

Ha! It would be a pleasure Bea - yet considering my tendency to speak out impulsively - I might not be a wise choice!

I Beatrice said...

Oh, but your speaking out impulsively would be the best part of it Merry, don't you see? Giving the whole thing an air of spontaneity and fun.

Which is what it's supposed to be all about, really. Though I do sometimes feel quite guilty about the fact that I have so few morals to point up (Well, call it none, actually!)

Catherine said...

Mrs Avril Wilmott and her knitted suits. How beautifully your characters come together Beatrice. I wish I had your fertile imagination.

I don't believe that Lady M will be outmanoeuvred by this rather unpleasant, buttoned-up woman and hope to see her return to centre stage in some style.

Thank you for the tour. I shall certainly read your story with fresh eyes!

I Beatrice said...

Thank you Marianne, that was a very nice comment to receive!

It was the greatest happiness to me to show you all the 'sites'.

And I too hope that Lady M will soon descend the stairs and find a way to rally with style.