Tuesday 11 September 2007

Rose gives her account

The lonely days continue, so that I sometimes wonder what it could have been, precisely, that brought me home ahead of time, and whether the others will ever return from Tuscany at all? I have been tending Bill’s vegetables ( his tomatoes are splendid!), and walking the dogs daily; but from the glances I receive from other dog-walkers on the common, I glean the fact that my presence there is seen as no substitute for Bill’s. People stop me to ask about him, often, and I have been at a loss to know how much I ought to reveal about his change of status.

Only the Brigadier, beneath whose sternly military exterior there evidently beats a rather sentimental heart – only the Brigadier has seen, or guessed the truth. He thinks it an excellent development. “Two people who were made for each other if ever there was such a thing!” he barked at me yesterday ( I remain uncertain as to whether I ought best to curtsey, or salute, at the end of one of his pronouncements). He only wonders if Bill will have the stamina to ‘square up to the old lady’.

I have wondered a good deal about this myself. Sitting alone in the gatehouse in the evenings, I have tried to picture them at the villa; and it has seemed to me that wherever they are, and whatever they should happen to be doing at any given moment, whether breakfasting in the loggia or sitting beneath the plane trees in the heat of the long afternoons, it is Lady Macauley’s voice I hear, and hers the presence which, above all others, decides and manipulates events.

I was engaged in just such reflections over coffee in the kitchen this morning. I was telling myself that if Lady Macauley were ever going to defer to anyone, it would be to Bill, and that, really, I ought to have more confidence in him. I ought to have learnt by now at least, that his is the kind of broad geniality which enables him not so much to engage with obstacles, as simply to fail to notice they are there. I was enjoying my reflections, and had been transported by them so very far, so entirely blissfully away, that the sudden appearance of Rose on the garden path, operated rather as an apparition might have done - or at any rate as a rather disagreeable jolt.

She guessed my thoughts – she always does. “You look as if you had seen a ghost!” she laughed, coming into the kitchen and flopping down, as always, on her favourite stool. “But it’s only me, returned unexpectedly, and only for the least possible number of days.... I had family matters to attend to here, but I mean to return at once. I daren’t turn my back on them all for more than two seconds, if you want to know the truth, events are moving there at such a pace.”

I was prepared on this occasion to let her have her head. That she had much to relate I didn’t doubt; and that she would slant it in such a way as to reflect her own best interests most of all, was doubtless also. But I was prepared, for once, to overlook small irritations – my thirst for information being on this occasion greater than my distaste for what I have come to think of as the ‘Mountjoy twist’.

Her first offering was not altogether to my liking, for all that. There was something patently mischievous, malicious almost, in her announcement that they had all gone, yesterday, to visit ‘my’ Cesare, and his almost inconceivably ancient mother, in what she called their preposterous palazzo, in Lucca.

“You’ve never seen such a place!” she exclaimed. “You have to penetrate deep into the heart of the town to find it – I was amazed at Bill’s courage, in daring to take the car down so many narrow back streets! And then when you do find it, it looks more like a warehouse or a prison, than a house. You know the sort of thing I’m sure. No concession whatever to houses as we know them: just a vast gate in an impenetrable wall, so that if you haven’t got your glasses on, or don’t peer in the right place, you would quite miss the little brass plate that tells you it’s the Palazzo Restorelli, and that you have to ring for entry...”

I fear my face must have betrayed the agitation I felt, as Rose launched without warning into this account of their visit to the Palazzo Restorelli, which I knew to be the home of the man with the deep Italian eyes who had affected me so unexpectedly at the engagement dinner. There was a part of me which urged her on, longing as I did to hear anything – everything – about him. I drank deep, for three minutes, of her account of the beautiful formal garden at the palazzo, of the dim splendour of the indoor rooms, and the way in which Cesare had finally presented his ancient mother, as if she were the most precious being on earth...

But I finally experienced a deep aversion to hearing these things from Rose; who would have liked Cesare for herself, I knew, and who would for that reason be at pains to try to belittle him in my eyes. I pulled her up short therefore – I am hardly able to describe the sheer effort of will it cost me to do it. I switched the subject as adroitly, and apparently casually as I could; I said that Cesare and his aged mother were very well, but that one old countess, one palazzo, were much like any other, when you came right down to it - and that what was of more immediate present interest to me was to know how life in the villa went on, and how Pamela and Roland in particular, were adjusting to it? Mercifully, she took the bait, and swallowed it, almost without appearing to draw breath.

“Oh well, they’re soldiering on you know” she said. “But pretty much out of their depth, as you can imagine. And striking the one false note, if you ask me. Poor Pamela has brought all the wrong sorts of clothes to wear, for a start! She never thought there would be any call for a bathing suit; she turned quite pale at the prospect, and looks most peculiar, sitting beside the pool in her voluminous skirts.... She has never had any experience of sun-screen either, so has turned a very painful-looking shade of puce! And then at dinner, she swathes herself in the usual chiffon – whilst everyone else manages an effect of casual chic. Not the Lucchese grandees of course. They get themselves up pretty spectacularly too - but somehow the achieved effect is entirely different....”

“And Roland...?” But for Roland, Rose felt the need to make a longish pause, evidently momentarily lost for words. “Well, what can one say about Roland, except that when once he has delivered himself of his legal advice - which occupied about one hour, on the very first day - he’s left gasping like a stranded minnow, amongst all those super-refined old Italians whom Lady M will keep inviting up to the villa. He wears a short-sleeved shirt, with tie, at dinner you know. He looks most carefully at his range of cutlery, then tries to follow everyone else without being noticed. I think every mouthful must be an acute ordeal for him. He and Pamela sit mute, at table, for the most part – oh, they open their mouths to speak every now and then, but evidently decide against it. On the grounds, one assumes, of their having nothing whatever to say. Sadly, it only adds to the general fish-out-of-water effect that they create. None of the visiting Nobiltà seems to have the least idea of who they are, or what to make of them....”

Rose was well into her stride by now, and obviously had a great deal more to tell. I despised myself a little for wishing to encourage her – but my own desire for knowledge was acute, so I quietly refilled the coffee pot and settled back, as if for the duration...


This part of the story has run-on almost without my bidding, and still has failed to accommodate all I want to say. Seldom have I felt more in need of the luxury of a full chapter in which to spread myself – so I have decided to send caution to the winds, and let it run to a second instalment.

17 comments:

aims said...

Dearest B - you have taken story-telling in the first person to a new level - Bravo! (and I remember you had worried about it)

I made the foolish mistake of opening your blog without my morning cup of tea - and then rushing through it with delight - only to sit afterwards and wish for that cup of tea and a leisurely read - absorbing, dreaming, imagining......

So very well done - you are a master.

I Beatrice said...

It is such a privilege for a writer, Aims, to be able to hear the responses of her readers at every stage as she goes along! It helps so much to know how it's all being received - and is an enormous boost to confidence (when the comments are favourable, that is!).

Perhaps it will be the way forward for novel writing in the future? Certainly the people at the British Library seem to think that it will. I am to be interviewed by them again shortly, in some other connection associated with blogging. I think they're especially interested in the fact that I've done all this at such a relatively advanced age!

I'm sure you will eventually find a similar response to your own story, now posted. It may take a little while for people to find it, and take it up (it took ages for me). But you write powerfully and well, so sooner or later you must find the people who will respond to it.

The very best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

I wish you had written more as well - I really want to know what happens...well done to you Beatrice.

I Beatrice said...

Thank you for those encouraging words, Mutley.

But do you know, it's just the strangest thing, writing the story this way - one's doing it almost on the hoof, so to speak! So that I'm never absolutely certain, when I sit down in the morning, what I shall have come up with by the end of the day. The broad outline was always there - but the little details bubble up as if from a spring somewhere.

But I guess you know all about that, story-teller that you are yourself?

Anonymous said...

I too am looking forward to see what happens - can B really leave her garden for an Italian palazzo with Cesare?

I Beatrice said...

Who can say, Anon? Not I, certainly, at this stage!

All I can say for sure is that nothing will be decided in too much of a hurry. It's a very large step for her to take after all..

debio said...

I wish you had continued further with this episode - just can't wait for the next.

(Loved the short-sleeved shirt with a tie....)

merry weather said...

That was a lovely account - hope you keep spreading it!

Cesare is a good name for the man with the deep eyes - I knew a young Cesare a while ago, very proud, polite and handsome!

Also, I could just imagine the kind of unpromising entrance you described for the Palzzo, a dull exterior concealing great luxury within.

Poor Bea hearing all this from Rose, what a trial for her!

Jan said...

Hello Beatrice. I hope to catch up properly in Blogland soon.

Omega Mum said...

Very, very nice, IB. I looked up your blog on the British Library and will now track down the interview if it exists in publishable form. And who knows, maybe it will lead to another publisher.

I Beatrice said...

Debio: Thank you for coming again - and yes, I'm trying to get the next bit done, but for some reason it isn't flowing as smoothly as usual. Shall keep trying.

Merry Weather: I expect you know a good deal about Italy and Italians - perhaps I should have asked you to be my adviser? I did take advice on certain aspects of the story from an Italian friend, however - and the rest is done from observation and memory.

And I can reveal to you that my sister-in-law and I DID walk past that particular palazzo half a dozen times, before we understood that it was there! But having got in, the house was magnificent, and the garden a dream!

I Beatrice said...

Jan, lovely to see you back again. You seem t have been away for ages, so perhaps you'll have some great stories to tell?

Omega Mum: the interview hasn't even taken place yet, and I have no idea when - or where - it will appear. Not yet even sure what form it will take. But it appears that they like to interview people in the places in which their activities take place - so I may have to try to accommodate them in my little garden hut!

Catherine said...

He has an ancient mother Beatrice. Are you ready for this? And Italian mothers are formidable. This is so well-observed.

How exciting all this is for you. You simply never know, until you try, what you can achieve. I think this must be a life-changing experience for you.

I Beatrice said...

Real and fictional worlds seem in danger of colliding here, Marianne!

It's Bea, not I who has become involved with the man with the ancient Italian mother. I'm sure this is what you meant, but just in case......

(The real me is in possession of a living loving husband, after all!)

Catherine said...

No, I do know about the real husband. I meant the whole British Library, getting it all down thing being so exciting for the real you.

Anonymous said...

Have just returned from Tuscany myself. Your Italian instalments bring it all back so vividly. My last trip was to a wedding in Florence. Perhaps, we are heading in this direction for Belle?

I Beatrice said...

That sounds like a good idea FLAW - though of course Lady M would have to be persuaded of the wisdom of it first.

Thank you for coming - lovely to see you back.