Saturday 26 May 2007

In search of a little silk tea dress (again)

Bill is not a happy man. He returned from his walk this morning thoroughly disgruntled, and on my inquiring why the black looks, exploded in wrath, telling me that “ The damned man has taken to walking the dog with her now! So I’ve had to change my route - and poor old Monty has been quite down in the mouth about missing his usual wild plunge in pursuit of Luca!”

I understood that he was referring to Frances Fanshawe and her wayward dog Luca; and that the ‘damned man’ in question must be David Porteous, who has apparently extended his range of influence at the manor house by taking on the disciplining of the dog as well. This was unwelcome news to me – especially since my own, still rather woebegone dog, Florence, has formed an unaccountable attachment to Luca, and will be bereft at being denied his company on the common. I would prefer to hear that David Porteous was loosening rather than tightening his grip at the manor house besides – though the fact that there has been to date no engagement announcement does give me grounds for hope.

Mrs Baines is not so sanguine about it, and has phoned me several times to express her dismay. She thinks that Frances ought to have waited a little, before plunging in at the deep end like that. “So foolish of her!” she says. “But then you see, she has never had a chance to be a girl, and now she’s behaving just like any love-struck teenager.” Roland takes a very dim view of it all too, apparently. Roland goes still further indeed: expressing the view that not only must they now suspend their party of welcome for Mr Porteous indefinitely, but ought probably to cut themselves off from his society altogether. At least until they see in which direction events now proceed.

Pamela has other, more propitious things on her mind at present, mind you. She has had the extreme happiness of receiving a card of invitation from Lady Macauley to attend her garden party on bank holiday Monday. It's the very first time she has been included in such an event, and she is all of a flutter to know what she ought to wear, and whether it might include a hat? This put me in a very difficult position as a matter of fact – recalling, as I did, something that Lady Macauley herself had said, when the subject of Mrs Baines and Roland happened to come up. It was around the time when Pamela was still proposing to hold a welcome party for Mr Porteous, and Rose had been deputed to try to persuade the Macauleys to attend.

“Do remind me who she is” was Lady Macauley’s response to an appeal by Rose. “I daresay I ought to know that before I turn her down. Is she by chance the large lady with the hats, and the very much smaller husband……?”

Rose replied, I seem to remember, that Pamela was certainly large, and Roland rather small – but she didn’t remember any occasion at which she had worn a hat. Or none, at least, which Lady Macauley herself had also attended.

“Oh well, the hat is an illusion I daresay” Lady Macauley replied. “ There are women with whom one somehow feels its presence, even when the object itself is missing. There was something that Jack used to say - that you should never trust a woman whose hats seem larger than her husband, since she’s likely to be a dominatrix.”

With this recollection lurking in the back of my mind, I scarcely knew how to advise Pamela on the hat question. Though I did promise to approach Lady Macauley myself on the subject, and let her know the answer in plenty of time. To date, the occasion to do so has not arisen. I have had an old friend staying with me at the gatehouse for several days, and my pre-occupations, when they have not been with her, have been in trying to decide what to wear to the Macauley garden party myself.

Bill tells me not to agonise about it so. But then, the only question, for him, is whether he ought to wear a tie or not. And since this is usually simply enough solved by arriving with a tie, and slipping it in one’s pocket if it turns out to be inappropriate, I hardly see how he is in a position to judge. I on the other hand, have been in and out of John Lewis again, looking for little silk tea dresses…….

21 comments:

rilly super said...

beatrice, I left a comment in the week thanking you for your link but I don't remember where I left it so if you don't find it, thanks for the link and I have added you to. I wittered on about something else, I'm sure, but that was the crux of it. Anyway, have a lovely weekend won't you, bye for now

Rilly xx

I Beatrice said...

Lovely to see you again Rilly! I mentioned in passing to another blogger that a personal visit by Rilly the Great was probably the ultimate accolade.

Unless of course it should be surpassed by that of a visit from Bryan Appleyard! He did call on me once, and I wondered why - since he came only to talk about himself.

I suspect him of googling his own name every morning and following up every lead. Or perhaps he has a PR person briefed to do it for him, who knows?

Omega Mum said...

Like the presence of the hat being felt, even when not worn - nice line. Also - John Lewis for silk tea dresses - does it really? And how lovely if so!

I Beatrice said...

No, John Lewis definitely doesn't, Omega Mum! Stock LSTDs, that is. John Lewis doesn't stock anything whatever that anyone can wear, in my view.

It will be the dreaded Jacques Vert again for poor old Bea, I sadly fear.....

merry weather said...

Beatrice, I have been here on and off all day, catching up and laughing! You write very elegantly and with such a wide vocabulary, it makes great reading.

(I think Lady Macauley's hat remark equals Lady Bracknell's "handbag".)

What a marvellous blog, really enjoyable :)

I Beatrice said...

That is such a lovely comment Merry Weather! I never dared believe anyone would want to read me, never mind about actually enjoying the experience!

I'll do my very best to keep you entertained.

Stay at home dad said...

Hello I Beatrice. I had a quiet chuckle at your Brian Appleyard comment. I sent him an email once, of the Please Help Me! variety, and still wait...

I am enjoying your tale. There is nothing quite like it anywhere else.

debio said...

I Beatrice, you have revived 'fiction by instalments' brilliantly.
I am thinking of printing your episodes (hard copy - I think is the terminology) and reading them to my daughter.
It will bring Charles Dickens into context for her.
I am sorry that Mr P's influence is casting a shadow over the canine world. Is nothing sacred?

I Beatrice said...

Debio, thank you for visiting again. But I'm worrying about your daughter now you know! I mean, how old is she - and how would it be for her if I were to give an account of conjugal arrangements at the manor house? It would be tastefully done of course - I don't do bodice-ripping ( wouldn't know how - even should I suppose that poor little Frances's bodices would be able to withstand such depredations!)

Still, there'll have to be something at some point won't there? Please reassure me that your daughter will be up to it.

She might of course be such a very thoroughly modern and streetwise young girl, that she will simply shrug, and laugh off my wussy little scenes!

I'm a grandma of girls, and I've had that happen!

As for the dogs, well I agree, it's a bit rich. And I hear tell that poor Luca is likely at any moment to have to take up residence outdoors - in a kennel for goodness sake!

I Beatrice said...

SAHD, thank you for visiting - and yes, Bryan is very grand and so are all his commenters. No place there for the likes of me, I've discovered.

When I have time, I'll visit your blog (have glanced already). Meantime I wonder how as a SAHD you fare among the other Mummies at the school gates?

It's my fate as grandma to run that particular gauntlet four times a week - and the only Mummy who regularly talks to me is in fact a Daddy like yourself.......

Such a nice man! I wish the other Mummies were even half so nice as that.

Jan said...

Lovely fluid writing...really enjoying this!

lady macleod said...

There was something that Jack used to say - that you should never trust a woman whose hats seem larger than her husband, since she’s likely to be a dominatrix.”

I am still wiping my eyes. Fabulous as usual. Who of us has not been in pursuit of that perfect tea dress?

I have just noticed, and thank you for putting me on your blog list. Very kind indeed. Your layout is looking quite spiffy now I must say.

Once again thank you for a fabulous bit of entertainment - like a champagne truffle enjoyed on the terrace.

Stay at home dad said...

Good on you. I generally turn up late and avoid the whole sorry process!

My daughter's nursery class was only a handful strong when she first started, so we did have a round of birthdays which broke the ice.

I must write about the parents - some interesting characters...

Andres, JCT said...

"Oh well, the hat is an illusion I daresay” Lady Macauley replied. “ There are women with whom one somehow feels its [the hat's?] presence, even when the object itself [the hat?] is missing. There was something that Jack used to say - that you should never trust a woman whose hats seem larger than her husband, since she’s likely to be a dominatrix.”

i like this- judgment based upon the size of a hat. as good a basis for judgment as any other, and rather clever.

debio said...

Well, IBeatrice, she's 12 actually - I think any conjugal arrangements wt the Manor would hold her attention perfectly.
I wouldn't be against her listening to a bit of 'bodice-ripping', if only by implication. Will cerainly beat some of the tenage literature she's encouraged to read at school!

I Beatrice said...

Lady Macleod, I'm so happy to see you back with me again! I thought you had probably forsaken me.

It always seems to be on the cards that people will. I have this awful feeling lurking in the back of my mind you see - shall I be able to pull it off again today? (Help, scream, panic!)

Especially when the accursed British bank holiday weather has rained tremendously - on Lady Macauley's proposed parade...

I Beatrice said...

Andre carl sena, thank you for your interest and your comment. Both are much appreciated - though I can't quite escape the suspicion that, with your own inserted parentheses, you are in fact suggesting improvements to the text...?

You're probably right of course. But do call again.

Catherine said...

Looking out of the window, Beatrice, I think you will all need sou'westers and brollies today for the garden party. Wretched British weather.

Sorry I haven't visited recently, or posted much for that matter, but thank you so much for the link. I will always catch up with you sooner or later. Looking forward to the book!

Andres, JCT said...

no, i just wanted to capture the context. cool. keep the story unraveling. thanks

Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

Hello, Beatrice. Just thought I'd stop by & say hello. I'm glad you are still doing so well with your book - you have a good deal of interest in it now.

Lizzie x

Anonymous said...

Let her have the hat - it will suit her and she will never know what Lady M thinks - and she is probably irreconcilable anyway, so it doesn't matter.