Tuesday 20 November 2007

She SHALL come to the ball

Lady Macauley thinks that all things considered, we will probably do best to let Rose come to the ball believing her secret is still safe.

“She has done her worst” she remarked yesterday, sitting in her private room upstairs with Bill and Belle and me; Frances having already called another cab, and fled the scene; and Jack and Alice being relegated on this occasion to taking tea alone, downstairs in the drawing room. “And I agree her worst is very bad..... though if it ends in her having assisted me in bringing Will and Imogen together, well, all cannot be said to have been entirely lost.”

She had seemed to take the news of Rose’s double-dealing rather well; had scarcely gulped or blinked indeed - though there had been a moment, just one, and just after the full facts had been put before her, when she had covered her face with her hands, and looked as if she might be going to be crushed by it. Bill had warned us to be on our guard against just such a reaction. “We must never forget how old she is” he had reminded Belle and me, while we waited for Lady Macauley herself to come and join us. “I agree it’s not always easy to see her that way, given her tremendous fighting spirit. But that’s what she is nonetheless – an old lady approaching ninety. And we should be wary of delivering the blow that fells her.”

Bill had earlier exploded with rage himself. Not on his own account, as he furiously pointed out to Frances and me, when we had given him our account of how matters stood. Not even, particularly, on that of Lady Macauley, who might be disturbed, and even a little hurt by it all, but who had after all not been personally attacked, and who would find her relief in swift retaliation anyway. No, his rage was all for Belle, who would see in this an act of treachery against a friendship she had believed was based on long affection and mutual trust. I have seldom seen him so angry – and Frances, who never has, was actually rather alarmed by what she seemed to have set in motion.

We were glad though, that we had taken the precaution of catching him alone first; since we were able, by that means, not only to calm his rage, and prevent his immediately rushing home to strike a blow at Rose and her ‘damnable parson’ – but also to suggest to him that there were some aspects of the story that would be better withheld from Belle. He was all in agreement with that - there was no earthly reason why she should be burdened with every sorry detail! He would be *******d for example (my apologies; but Bill’s expletives, which tend to be of the old-fashioned sort, have nonetheless no proper place on these pages, and so you must conjure them for yourself) .... Bill would be damned anyway – put it no more violently than that - if he’d let Belle know of the part that had been designed for her to play in this sordid affair! There was evidence enough to heap against the duplicitous pair, God knew, without recourse to anything as hideously wounding as that.

And so it was, that with Frances gone home again, and the story wholly in our own hands, Bill and I were able to present a reasonably calm concerted front when relaying it, first to Belle, and then to Lady Macauley, half an hour later. Belle was indeed hurt and bewildered, even by the censored version, and had found at first nothing to say - save for the rather wan observation that “it would be a pity if the daughter had to suffer for the father’s sins – especially since Imogen is so very much Mummy’s favourite contender too”. Her mother however, whose first reaction had suggested possible collapse, was quick to rally, and come up with what appeared to be her considered response.

“She is a great deal more devious than I ever suspected” she finally, somewhat meditatively said. “And it’s true I suspected her of many things. I always knew she was self-seeking of course; always playing some little game that reflected her own best interests most of all. But I had supposed, at least, that she was playing them one at a time – so it comes as quite a shock to know she was playing so many, all at once! I probably even knew that she secretly detested me. There was that frigid little smile she always had, at moments of severest personal trial – I always understood, I think, that if she hadn’t been smiling at me so assiduously, she’d have been getting her knife out, ready to plunge it in my back. That, I have always been able to live with – so long as she continued to amuse, and make herself useful to me. I am not such a good woman myself – I believe I am in many respects a very bad one - as to have right to the moral high ground where others are concerned. But that she should have hated Belle too – or should at least have thought so little of their long friendship as to be prepared to sacrifice it at the altar of her own avarice – well, that is not to be forgiven; and I for one am not prepared to let it pass without a fight. Now she shall see what we can do by way of redress. Or call it for civility’s sake, if you like - since I believe we are on the whole a civilised people - quid pro quo.”

Lady Macauley had in fact a great deal more than that to say. That we should take the time to consider this thing very carefully from every angle, was her first concern; especially in light of the fact that Alice, when she was told – as one supposed she must be, at some point - would undoubtedly put some very different construction on it all.

“Alice will want to cancel the ball and send the whole lot packing”she decided. “Which will not serve my purposes - oh, not at all! No, the ball must go ahead just as planned. And everyone must be there, including Rose. Including even the Wilmots, who must be brought to see the absurdity of their own plan, and be persuaded to go home! I think we shall all breathe a little more easily when that foolish, and largely irrelevant pair has gone.”

She told us to leave her then. She would have her own tea brought up to her there; she had much thinking to do, and she would do it best alone. We should go down to the drawing room and do what we could to keep Alice from discovering the truth of what had just transpired.

“You won’t do anything precipitate Mummy, like phoning Rose....?” Belle had wanted to be assured of that, before she would consent to leave. But Lady Macauley had only the highest disdain for such an idea.

“What kind of a foolish old woman do you think I am, that you should suspect me of any such thing?” she fairly snapped back at Belle. “Do you think me likely to blow my own cover before I have even properly worked out what it’s going to be? No, of course I won’t be phoning Rose! Though it’s possible I might have to phone the Baineses...... I believe there is something I can do you see, to stop Rose and David Porteous in their tracks. But I shall need Roland’s help to put it in motion.... I shall probably need the help of several other people too; I’ll give you a list of their names, when I have thought them out. Meantime, there is much to be done – and the ball might have to be postponed by a day ....”

She dismissed us then; having not the slightest further need, as she put it, for our presence. We must go downstairs and do what we could to keep Alice from interfering. And with that, just for the moment, we had to be content.

17 comments:

debio said...

I can't believe that the ball is to be postponed.....

Oh shame on you!

Another triumph, IB.

I Beatrice said...

Oh but Debio, only by a day at most! And only think of all that Lady M has to accomplish before she can let it happen!

Think of all that I have to contend with myself, come to that -in simply keeping panic at bay, with the end so nearly in sight!

What am I to DO with myself, for one thing, in a blog-less world?

aims said...

There is something to be said for the very elderly - they just think differently. In times of chaos - they construct. In times of sadness - they are stoic. I'm assuming this is just a matter of infinite experience on their part - and Lady M is a shining example of aging very well.

Of course there are those who are nodding off in their porridge most days - thankfully we are all not alike or it would be a boring world.

I admire Lady M's spirit. I imagine she is based on the author's own :)

merry weather said...

Lady M showing great spirit and understanding here. I like it that she says - I am not such a good woman myself - how surprisingly honest of her. Rather a noble speech I thought.

Bill blowing his top, for once, Frances dashing off having done the deed - All in all an exciting instalment!

I love the way you're shifting the direction of the story ever so slightly with each chapter as you bring it to a close. It makes nothing absolutely predictable and it's always a little teasing...

The ball will be good though, of that I'm pretty sure :)

I Beatrice said...

It's a curious thing, don't you think? That Lady M can be as awful as she likes (and she really is pretty awful at times it seems to me), and nobody dislikes her for it, the way they do poor old David P. There must be a moral somewhere there - but for the life of me I can't think what it is!

And as for the shifts in direction - well, that is something which the blog-form itself dictates I think. Had I been writing it in the normal way, it might have been rather different.

The ball though? The ball is keeping me awake at nights - I worry about it, and oh, I do so hope I can bring it off!

I Beatrice said...

I have given up trying to follow the logic of the comment box, Aims. Yours was posted after Merry Weather's, so that I'd be able to answer them both in sequence - and now look where it has popped up!

But no, I don't think I am personally anything like as brave or forthright as Lady M! Rather a timid creature really, am I ....

Perhaps she's my alter ego?

-eve- said...

I started at the beginning then got on to thinking, "wow, so many complex characters! I can't write a novel after all ...". Just realized now that you're doing just what I noticed we lack... having an older heroine... :-)

Anonymous said...

curiouser and curiouser - how on earth the Baineses can be of use to Lady M in her machinations is beyond me, but I look forward to finding out! Good stuff, you will be missed when it finishes!

I Beatrice said...

And is it that a good thing or a bad, do you think, Eve?

So pleased to have you visit me though!

I Beatrice said...

Oh ye of little faith Anon!

Roland is her trusty (and largely unremunerated) unofficial personal adviser - have you forgotten that already?

How I must have failed, in the detail, therefore!

-eve- said...

eIt's good, of course! Sets it apart... the world needs older heroines in books, to remind them of the ones they're starting to ignore in real life...

I Beatrice said...

What a very gentle, thoughtful person you are Eve, all the way down there in Malaysia!

You will make a very wonderful doctor I'm sure - and are a most welcome new visitor to my site.

How sad it is that you come virtually at the eleventh hour! I am very soon to finish the story, you know - and am panicking quite badly, lest I shouldn't be able to do it well.

-eve- said...

Thank you for the kind words, beatrice.

> I am very soon to finish the story, you know - and am panicking quite badly, lest I shouldn't be able to do it well.
Well, the consolation is that if you're writing the story (unless it's the story writing itself), you could always rewrite it *and the readers could all give suggestions if you run out of ideas.. ;-)...

I Beatrice said...

It's not the ideas that worry me, Eve - the whole thing was mapped out a long time ago. No, it's the excecution thereof....

These things have a way of working themselves out when once one starts writing, though - it's a kind of miracle (to me at any rate). And in any case, as soon as I've finished this first draft, I mean to start all over again with the second (and hopefully) final one.

But that will be accomplished privately - so have no fear that the whole thing will appear again as a blog!

Omega Mum said...

Another cracking episode, IB.

Catherine said...

All these machinations, but I am longing for the ball, Beatrice.

I Beatrice said...

The ball, the ball - everyone's waiting for the ball! It will come, I promise, but events are such at present that there must be a delay of another day or two...

But thank you Marianne, for taking the trouble to catch up so carefully on past episodes. It's lovely to hear from you, and I won't keep you waiting an hour longer than is absolutely inescapable.